Thursday, March 12, 2009

My trip to Darjeeling - II



Back to the trip. I spent nine days there and luckily for me, most of those days had clear skies. This gave me umpteen opportunities to gaze at the Himalayas. There is a particular hill in Darjeeling called 'Tiger Hill', which offers a jaw dropping view of the entire Himalayan range. And through binoculars, one can even see Mt. Everest!


-The Himalayan Range, as viewed from Tiger Hill

Darjeeling is primarily follows Buddhism, with lots of Monasteries and Pagodas around. The most famous monastery in Darjeeling is 'Ghoom Monastery' or 'Yiga Choeling Monastery'. It was built in 1875 and inside the monastery is a 15-feet high statue of 'Coming Buddha'.


-Ghoom Monastery


-'Coming Buddha' Statue inside Ghoom Monastery

Next stop was the Japanese Peace Pagoda. A Pagoda is usually a temple; a place of worship. It has beautiful wood carvings and bronze statues depicting the various stages of Buddha's life.


-Japanese Peace Temple


-Inside the temple


-Steps leading to the Pagoda


-A bronze statue of Buddha

On my second day in Darjeeling, I happened upon a trail which runs behind the 'Chawrasta' (a central location where 4 roads converge). This trail was very unique as on one side were rows of houses and on the other, the hills and in the far distance, the Himalayan Range. I walked the entire trail (it took about 2 hours) and it was spectacular. Very peaceful as there were hardly any people around and the views were breathtaking. So many trees it was like a sensory overload.


-The Trail

Next, I visited Batasia Loop which is a natural drop occuring between Ghoom & Darjeeling. It houses the War Memorial housing a 30 ft. high triangular cenotaph with the Roll of Honour engrave on it in memory of the brave Gorkha soldiers. It was a sobering experience and the pictures below pretty much sums it up.







As for the rest of my trip, I'm going to let the pictures do the talking because, quite frankly, i cannot put into words what I experienced in those 9 days. It was something close to magical; I was one with myself and there was a feeling of being content; of being happy; of being at peace with my battles. I was as if my troubles melted away into the serene backdrop of the mountains and the world, all of a sudden, the world was beautiful, and life wasn't so bad after all.































To conclude, Darjeeling is aplace unlike any other I have visited so far in India. Infact, you don't even feel like you are in India. Even the people are so different from the Indians that you might have come accross in your life.

Darjeeling was an experience that I shall never forget; the place, the people; the tranquil pace of life and the majesty of the snow capped mountains which makes one feel so small, so non-existent. Possibly the only regret I have is that I didn't have anyone to share it with. Nevertheless, I have brought back with me a lot of fond memories...and my own little slice of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment